Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Saint's Words: St. Therese of Lisieux on her First Confession

[Public Domain]

One of the more popular saints in the last century, St. Therese of the Child Jesus has been the saint for the ordinary folk.  The first time I've heard of her was with one friend who knew of a friend who's prayers were answered with the intercession of St. Therese especially when roses somehow appeared.  However, her life was more intriguing and inspirational, a child so in love with God that even simple tasks and aspirations spun around the real center of the universe.

Having read her autobiography, the Story of a Soul, that thing that bogs in your head unwraps and little by little one starts to understand that living a holy life is not really about dramatic adventurous feats but the small actions in relationship with God.  This slow process is indeed snailpaced since life is unraveled in sixty seconds and then into sixty minutes and so on, quite the contrary from action movies.  There's a quote I once heard that real life is really boring.  In the case of the spiritual life, that's where the unwrapping part takes place.  In writing her autobiography, St. Therese even remembers her first confession.
I made my first confession soon afterwards. What a wonderful memory I have of it! How carefully you prepared me! You told me I was going to confess my sins not to a man but to God himself. I was so absolutely convinced of this that I made my confession full of great faith and I even asked you if I should tell Father Ducellier that I love him with all my heart since it was God I was going to speak to in his person.
As far as I know, there are very few accounts of a first confession, and so much so from a saint, and St. Therese has written down her experience not with colorful language but with sweet simple words.  In the same paragraph, St. Therese continues, as she makes a resolution to make confession frequent.
Well instructed in all I had to say and do, I entered the confessional and knelt down, but when Father Ducellier opened the shutter he couldn't see anyone. I was so small that my head came below the arm rest. He told me to stand up. I obeyed at once and turned to face him so that I could see him better. I made my confession like a big girl and received his blessing with great devotion, for you had told me that, at that moment, the tears of Jesus would cleanse my soul. I remember what Father Ducellier said to me. He especially urged me to love the Blessed Virgin, and I determined to redouble my affection for her. I left the confessional happier and more lighthearted than I'd ever been before. After that I went to confession on every big feast day, and every time I went it was a real feast for me.

Reference from: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux: The Story of a Soul.Translated by John Beevers.Chapter 2, Paragraph 18 and 19


You may also be looking for:

From browsing links to humbling Joy


No comments: